Special Education Teacher- (Position located in Rockland County)
Rockland Preparatory School
Teachers at The Daytop Preparatory School are expected to provide an environment conducive to individual learning needs of each student. As The Daytop Preparatory School is an integral part of the Daytop Integrated Outpatient Program,* teachers are expected to respect and observe its values and principles and work within its established framework.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver NYS Education Department/ Common Core standards-based instruction in assigned content areas and grade levels that ensures academic growth for all students, as is confirmed by students’ home district designees.
- Master necessary knowledge and skills to successfully differentiate instruction as appropriate for multi-level, multi-grade classes.
- Develop positive appropriate relationships with students, including explicit recognition of their growth.
- Develop daily and unit lesson plans that are thoughtful, goal-oriented and aligned with curriculum and state requirements.
- Implement behavioral management policies consistent with the norms of the Daytop Integrated Outpatient Program.
- Maintain accurate, thorough records of students’ achievement and behavioral performance.
- Regularly assess student mastery of key skills and concepts and use this data to tailor instruction to meet standard needs.
- Develop, implement, evaluate educational goals with student and therapeutic team based on individual needs.
- Complete Progress Notes, Report Cards, individualized reports as requested promptly as appropriate.
- Confer with students, clinical staff, administrators, and families (when possible) and referents as appropriate to resolve behavioral and academic problems.
- Create and maintain a neat, clean, and educationally stimulating classroom environment.
- Maintain up-to-date inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Pursue Professional Development in specific areas of interest or need through attendance at classes, workshops and conferences as appropriate.
- Attend and participate constructively in team meetings.
- Attend and/or facilitate Community (Morning) Meetings and/or Character Education (collaboration is preferred and depends on the facility and staffing.)
- Maintain appropriate NYS Education Department certification and apprise supervisor of same.
- Demonstrate teamwork to ensure compliance with student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) as appropriate.
- Support and integrate student’s educational and clinical treatment goals with IEP’s as appropriate.
- Apprising supervisor and colleagues, engage and instruct students with IEP accommodations and modifications as appropriate
- As requested by supervisor(s), represent DPS at student’s home district meetings with pupil support teams
Teachers need to demonstrate substantial initiative, teamwork, and resourcefulness to engage our learners who, with our rolling admissions, enter at any time throughout the school year with a range of academic and behavioral needs as well as varying familial, home district and/or legal support.
- NYS Special Education Certification; Grade (7-12)
- Generalist, preferred. Math experience desirable
- Alternative teaching experience a plus
- Professional judgment, flexibility
- Collaborative style essential