New York, NY
DEPARTMENT: Agency Program
REPORTS TO: Program Director
The Peer Specialist will work with the team to provide community-based support with a rehabilitation and recovery focus using shared lived experiences. The Peer Specialist will provide individual face to face services in the client’s home or community as specified in the service protocols. A critical part of the job is the completion of necessary paperwork within the required timeframes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides strength-based rehabilitative and recovery oriented services individually and as part of a team.
- Provides face-to-face individual services in a client’s home or community, documenting all services in the Electronic Health Record (EHR) using collaborative documentation.
- Carries a caseload of four to eight participants.
- Shares personal experiences to foster a sense of hope and recovery.
- Ensures coordination of services through collaboration and consultation with other staff, providers and identified family and/or friends of participant.
- Assists participants with entitlements and concrete services; working together with participant, advocates on participant’s behalf via telephone and written correspondence.
- Attends and participates in weekly supervision, staff meetings and periodic in-service trainings.
- Attains and maintains competency in evidence-based practices as assigned.
- Documents time and effort and tasks during working hours as required for billing.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or Human Services preferred
- New York Certified Peer Specialist or Certified Recovery Peer Advocate certifications required.
- At least two years of life experience with behavioral health issues
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong basic computer skills, particularly Microsoft Word
- Experience with Electronic Health Records a plus
- Willingness to share life experiences related to service protocols while maintaining professional boundaries
- Ability to think logically, prioritize and follow procedures and instructions
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Experience with advocacy, outreach and engagement, self-help, recovery and transitional supports
- Knowledge of Evidenced Based Practices (Motivational Interviewing, Contingency Management)
- Bi-lingual a plus
- Willing to travel to client homes and out in the community