Under general direction, the Community Outreach Specialist is responsible for providing quality outreach initiatives within specified catchment areas and generating referrals for individuals seeking treatment to SDV continuum of services. Activities also involves participating in departmental committees, staff meetings, community groups and /or advisory councils; accepting public speaking requests regarding program services and/or available community services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates initiatives designed to promote Agency and its services to the community at large.
- Develops relationships with community leaders and serves as organization's liaison with various constituents.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the substance abuse and mental health field.
- Circulates descriptive program literature and contact information.
- Evaluates clients’ appropriateness for program participation, maintaining written documentation detailing each client contact made.
- Documents all pertinent information on appropriate screening forms.
- Communicates with perspective clients’ home-site to arrange transfers, arranging transportation of outreached clients to intake appointments when approved by supervisor.
- Keeps supervisor informed of day-to-day activities, significant events or conditions impacting on client and/or staff well-being, team safety, and office operations.
- Provides orientation education to clients regarding program rules and regulations, client rights and grievance procedures, staff roles and program structure, and information pertaining to available program services and optional methods of attaining recovery goals.
- Complies with 42 CFR confidentiality and HIPAA privacy and security regulations.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree in area of Substance Abuse or Mental Health
- At least two years’ experience in community outreach and the ability to develop and cultivate successful partnerships with Community Based Organizations (CBOs)
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and organizational skills.
- Experience presenting to public officials and large audiences a plus.
- Strong computer skills with working knowledge of social media, networking and Microsoft Office.
- Experience working with social service agencies
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Ability to travel to different sites
- Ability to multi-task
- Must have ability to work a flexible schedule. This position follows non-standard hours including some Saturday and evening work related to events.