Various opportunities in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx
The Housing Specialist is responsible for assisting residents in obtaining safe and affordable housing. The Housing Specialist will acts as the point person for all information regarding housing resources and services within the metropolitan area. Assist and link residents to entitlement services where applicable.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist residents in seeking safe, permanent and affordable housing.
- Complete initial housing assessment and determine resident's eligibility for various housing programs and services.
- Participate in multidisciplinary treatment team meetings and share the outcomes of housing assessments and recommendations with the team.
- Develop housing service plans based on resident's housing needs while ensuring each resident's housing needs are included in the resident's comprehensive treatment plan.
- Provide individual and group counseling regarding housing issues to help residents meet the goals of the service and comprehensive treatment plans.
- Document all individual and group sessions for each resident as they are provided.
- Teach residents independent living skills like budgeting and money management to help them establish and maintain self-sufficiency.
- Serve as a liaison between housing agencies such as HRA, Section 8, ACS, etc. and advocate for residents' various housing needs to such agencies while developing and maintaining a relationship with such housing agencies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with landlords, brokers and realty agencies.
- Develop and maintain housing referral resource manual, make housing referrals and follow-up to determine outcome of all referrals.
- Set up appointments with housing agencies, landlords and brokers so residents may view apartments.
- Prepare residents for housing interviews.
- Formulate discharge plans based on resident's needs and eligibility for various housing resources.
- Complete monthly housing report.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or program director.
- Strong knowledge of housing systems and resources.
- Strong assessment, individual and group counseling skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related field and or CASAC.
- Will accept Associates Degree and five years experience working as a Housing Specialist.
- Basic key board skills and computer literate.