Child Care Specialist
Brooklyn- Roger's aveune
Harlem Outpatient Treatment- Manhattan, NY
- Under the supervision of the Site Director, provides onsite child care and safety for resident children in accordance with the prescribed curriculum.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts daily activities in accordance with the prescribed curriculum.
- Organizes and participates in recreational activities.
- Instructs children in health and personal activities.
- Provides age-appropriate activities.
- Observes and monitors children’s’ play activities.
- Organizes and stores toys and materials to ensure order in activity areas.
- Ensures children on medication report to designated area for administration.
- Serves as a Parenting Mentor with the mother; supervises them on care-giving routines and practices.
- Supports and encourages children’s’ emotional and social development.
- Reads to children, and teaches them simple painting, drawing, handicrafts, and songs.
- Serves beverages and snacks to children and regulates rest periods
- Identifies signs of emotional or developmental problems in children and brings them to parents’ or guardians’ attention.
- Shares concern with Program Director on any child that may require additional services.
- Ensures safety and confidentiality of children and mothers.
- Inspects toys, furniture and other equipment regularly to ensure they are clean, operational and safe. Removes any that aren’t safe.
- Adheres to schedule for any outings.
- Attends required trainings.
- Completes any necessary paperwork or reports.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Associates Degree preferred, High School or Equivalency Diploma required
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the provision of child care services or pre-school setting
- Current CPR and First Aid Certificates
- Must be able to read, write and understand English
- Knowledge of CARES a plus
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills to interact with co-workers, children, parents, etc.
- Computer literate including working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Compassion and patience
- Knowledge of child abuse reporting requirements
- Knowledge of child development and age-appropriate children’s activities
- Able to inspire confidence, determination and trust in clients.