Substance Abuse Counselor- Outpatient
MMTP -Willis Ave- Bronx, NY
Jamaica Outpatient- Queens, NY
JOB TITLE: Substance Abuse Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Agency Program
REPORTS TO: Program Director or Designee
Under general direction, this position provides behavioral counseling and education to a mandated substance abuse population through individual and group sessions. The position manages a caseload of clients and is responsible for keeping all required documentation up to date.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops treatment plans in concert with Program Director or Clinical Supervisor that reflect an understanding of specialized Track issues as related to the physical, medical, cognitive and psychosocial needs and specific diagnosis.
- Supervises and manages residents on assigned caseloads in concert with Program Director or assigned supervisor to insure treatment goals and objectives are being met.
- Facilitates group and individual counseling sessions as requested
- Facilitates family sessions as requested.
- Facilitates Encounter Groups as requested.
- Keeps clinical files for assigned caseload accurate and current in a timely manner, including Planning and Progress notes.
- Conducts discharge planning as assigned.
- Facilitates crisis intervention as needed.
- Adheres to multidiscipline treatment recommendations that are incorporated into treatment plans.
- Participates and takes a leadership role in Treatment Plan Reviews and Case Conferences.
- Represents Samaritan Daytop Village at meetings and speaking engagements, as requested.
- Adheres to Samaritan Daytop Village’s treatment philosophy and mission.
- Adheres to Clinical licensure and accreditation standards.
- Keeps abreast of changes in field.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- High School Diploma/equivalent required; Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- CASAC-T certification, required. CASAC, preferred.
- 2+ years related experience in counseling and case management, preferred.
- Knowledge of clinical tasks (such as Assessment Tool, ASAM, Minuchin Family Therapy, Life Skills, Treatment Planning, Special Programs, and Discharge Summaries).
- Knowledge of various treatment components (departments) clinically.
- Knowledge of Mental Health status and diagnosis of each client on their caseload.
- Assess residents using Samaritan Daytop Village assessment tools as assigned.
- Knowledge of the laws regarding personnel and client information.
- Knowledge of Client Rights and Code of Ethics.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Always be courteous to clients, families, and other staff members.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Adaptable to change in the work environment.
- Good computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office