Substance Use Specialist-Westchester County Location
The Substance Use Specialist, under the direction of the Substance Use Specialist Supervisor conducts assessments and determines level of care to parents and children who are involved with Westchester County Department Social Services Child Welfare Unit. These assessments are to be performed at Child Welfare Unit’s request, either at the Child Welfare Unit or in the client’s home, and results are shared with case worker staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assessment and Referral
- Conducts substance abuse assessments, as request by case worker.
- Provides diagnostic impression of apparent substance abuse disorders, as per DMS-IVR
- Makes recommendations regarding appropriate level of treatment and actualizes appropriate referral
- Conducts/home/field visits as needed
- Conducts urinalysis as needed
- Produces formal written reports regarding substance abuse assessments for CWS
- Shares results of substance abuse counseling process with CWS caseworker(s) as per Agreement between Samaritan Village, Inc and Westchester County Department of Social Services
- Adheres to all statutes and regulations that protect client confidentiality, including rules about disclosure to third parties
- Networks and communicates with other departments as a member of the program’s management team.
- Participates in case planning, as requested by CWS
- Provides training to CWS staff on issues related to substance abuse and substance abuse treatment
3. Additional Duties
- Attend court as requested by Court-ordered Subpoenas
- Conduct treatment provider site visits
- Other relevant duties as necessary
- Knowledgeable about the drug treatment process and its various modalities
- Skilled in screening, interviewing, and motivational counseling techniques
- Knowledgeable about the child welfare system
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to maintain and establish appropriate referral sources
- Must meet SVI and CWS’ standards of behavior and be a positive role model
- High School Diploma or GED, required.
- CASAC-T certification required,CASAC certification preferred with three years' experience in chemical dependency or human services, required.
- Must be Microsoft Office proficient.
- Must have valid NYS Driver's License.
- Must be willing to conduct home/field visits.